As the last few days have been rather trying weather wise (to say the very least!), I thought I would share my soup recipe, which can be easily adapted to suit taste and whatever happens to be in the fridge. Let’s face it, who wants to run around in all that snow and slush? Not me!
Elle‘s Super Supper Soup
Serves about 4-6 people
Half a large pumpkin
Half a large squash
4 large potatoes
1 large sweet potato
1 red pepper
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 tablespoon chilli flakes
1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
1/2 pint vegetable or chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Wash, peel and roughly chop all the vegetables into bite sized pieces and add to a large roasting pan, together with the honey and tomato puree.
2) Roast the vegetables in the oven at a high temperature (gas mark of say about 7), for about an hour or until the vegetables are cooked.
3) Remove the veg from the oven, and blend in a blender or food processor until they are of a smooth texture. You should not attempt to blend all the veg in one go, but in batches of about 3 to 4.
4) As you are blending the veg, add some of the stock.
5) If the soup is too thick for your liking, add some more stock.
6) Add the remaining ingredients and heat the soup over the stove or hob until piping hot.
7) Serve immediately.
You may like to add more or less veg, as I said you can use what ever is in the fridge. You can even add some leftover meat, or maybe a little soft chesse and/or cream. Try some with garlic bread. I have a very simple recipe for garlic bread, which can be stored in freezer, for when you need it.
- Elle’s Cheddar and Rosemary Cornbread Muffins – recipe (busyellebee.wordpress.com)