- 3 medium eggs
- 80 ml fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 150 g granulated white sugar
- 50 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes and at room temperature
- Add the eggs, sugar and juice in a heat proof glass bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk the mixture until blended.
- Stir constantly to prevent curdling, until the mixture becomes thickened, this takes about 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and sieve the mixture immediately through a fine strainer to remove any lumps.
- Add the butter to the lemon mixture and whisk until the butter has melted.
- Stir in the lemon zest and allow to cool and set.
- When cooled, place in a sterilised container, and refrigerate. It should keep for at least 1 week.
Makes 1 to 1 1/2 cups.
Tie the jar with a yellow ribbon and you’ll have lovely Easter gift.