- Preheat the oven Gas mark 4 (350 F)
- Grease a large baking pan (I used a 12x 9×2 inch baking pan), and set aside.
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salts in a large bowl. Add the sugar.
- In separate bowl, mix the milk, eggs and the cooled melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir together with a wooden spoon. Be careful not to over work the mixture, just stir to bearly combine the ingredients.
- Gently fold in about 2/3rds of the grated cheese and all of the dill to the mixture.
- Leave the mixture to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- After setting aside for 10 minutes, pour the mixture into the baking pan and level.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the top of the mixture
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test after 25 minutes of baking, if you place a tooth pick in the center and it comes out clean, the cornbread is cooked. If not bake for another 5-10 minutes and test again.
- Take the cornbread out of the oven, and set aside to cool.
- Divide the cornbread into large squares. Mine yielded 24 large squares.
You can freeze the cornbread for later use. Line a freezer proof box with baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Layer the cornbread and cover with more paper. Cover the box with the lid and freeze. You can simply take out the required amount, defrost and reheat them in a microwave.
Delicious as a snack on it’s own, or eaten with soup, chicken or fish dishes.