I have been looking for a recipe for Chai for ages and ages. I came across an unusual recipe and made a few adaptions – due to lack of readily available ingredients!
For the Chai mix:
- 5 tbsp English Breakfast loose tea
- 3 bags of strong generic black tea
- 1/2 cup Demerara sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 long cinnamon stick
- 10 whole cloves
- 9 cardamom pods
- 1 inch piece of ginger, sliced into discs
- 2 star anise pods
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 5 cups of water
- 1 tbsp honey
- Place all the ingredients, except the honey, in a large saucepan.
- Bring the ingredients quickly to the boil then turn down the heat to medium, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then strain the contents of the saucepan into a jug.
- Stir in the honey and when completely cooled, store in the fridge.
To make the Chai:
In a saucepan add a 1/3 cup each of the following,
- Chai mix
The Chai mix can be kept in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Try adding a spoonful of the mix to ordinary black tea, coffee or hot chocolate to give it a nice spicy kick.