Well here is one way to use up that buttermilk.
Quick Soda Bread
- 300g white spelt flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup/250ml buttermilk (see butter recipe for details)
- Gather all your ingredients together, you will need to work fast.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 8. Place an empty baking sheet or tray in the oven to warm up.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour in the buttermilk into the well, and quickly mix the ingredients together. As soon as the mix is well combined, turn out the wet, sticky dough onto a well floured surface. Be careful not to over mix the dough – think ‘less is more’.
- Using floured hands, shape the dough into a circle.
- Take the baking sheet from the oven and place the dough on it.
- Get a wooden spoon and flour the handle end, then lay across the dough and push down. Turn the dough 90 degrees and push the handle down through the dough to form a cross.
- Place the bread in the oven and bake for 12-18 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the bread makes a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom.
- Make your own butter! (busyellebee.wordpress.com)