After all those butter recipes (more to come, so please stayed tuned!), and the excesses of the past festive season (yes, as Ross said in ‘Friends, “I’m still carrying a little holiday weight”), I thought I should try to redeem myself and get back onto the health and fitness drive.
You can’t get much healthier that brown rice salad, can you. Well that’s what I’m telling myself anyway …
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp of celery salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz ripe tomatoes (about 2 medium sized tomatoes), chopped
- 1/4 packed cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- Boil 2 1/4 cups of water in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the stock cube to the water and stir until dissolved.
- Add in the rice and cook for about 20 minutes until all the stock has been absorbed by the rice. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl add the vinegar, honey, oil, celery salt and pepper. Whisk together and pour over the rice.
- Add the vegetables and basil to the rice mix and stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Set aside to cool down completely. If you can leave the salad in the fridge over night so that all the flavours intermingle, that would be great.