- 50 g butter
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- Zest of a whole orange
- Juice of 1/2 a large orange
- Juice of 1/4 a lemon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 tbsp of ginger syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, separated
- 35 g plain flour
- 275 ml milk
- icing sugar, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
- Grease a medium sized pie dish.
- With a food mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light in colour and fluffy in texture.
- Add the zest to the butter and sugar, and then the egg yolks one at a time.
- Sieve the flour and add a little at a time, alternating with the milk. Add the lemon and orange juice. This will curdle the batter, but that is OK. Note however the mix does not curdle as much as for the Lemon Surprise Pudding, but that is OK too.
- Add the ground ginger, vanilla extract and ginger syrup to the batter.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until they are stiff. Fold the whites into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased dish and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, and then dust the top of the pudding with icing sugar.
- Lemon Surprise Pudding (busyellebee.wordpress.com)