I have actually never made home-made mayo from scratch before. So to remedy this, as I have run out of mayo, I decided to make my own. As usual, I have added a few things, which I think makes for a great sauce.
- 2 large free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp of whole grain mustard
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsps white wine vinegar
- 250 ml sunflower oil
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- small handful of fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Place the egg yolks, vinegar, salt, pepper and mustard into the bowl of a processor. Mix until the ingredients are blended.
- With the motor running, pour the oil into the egg mixture in a slow, thin and steady stream for a few minutes, until the sauce has emulsified and become smooth.
- Fold in the salt, pepper, garlic and basil.
- Taste the mayonnaise and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Scoop the mayonnaise out of the bowl into serving dishes.
- Place the mayonnaise in the fridge to chill and serve when ready to use.
The mayonnaise keeps for only 1 day. This recipe makes enough to fill 2 large ramekins. You can easily halve the ingredients, if this is too much for your requirements.