I rarely use sliced bread, but I had a few slices left over from a project and wanted to use it up. I also have a glut of beautiful yellow and red cherry tomatoes, and a lovely block of cheddar cheese in the fridge. Hence the idea for this recipe.
Elle’s Savoury Bread Pudding
- 4 slices of white bread, crusts removed and each slice cut into 4 triangles
- 1 large egg, beaten
- a splash of milk
- 1 heaped dessert spoon cream cheese
- handful of cheddar cheese, grated
- handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small rectangle shaped dish, arrange the bread triangles, so that they look like this –
- Add the tomatoes to the dish, poking them in between the bread slices.
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg, milk and cream cheese until well blended.
- Add the spring onions and seasoning to the egg mix and stir well.
- Pour the egg mix over the bread and tomatoes in the dish, and set aside for about 15 minutes to allow the liquid to soak into the bread.
- Top the pudding with the grated cheese and bake in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 4 for 12-15 mins, until the top is golden brown and the egg mix has set.
Serve immediately with boiled new potatoes and/or a fresh leafy green side salad. You can also just eat this on it’s own.