Oddly enough, I don’t recall ever making soup with pearl barley. There was a packet languishing in the back of my kitchen cupboard for weeks, so I decided to see what could be done with it. There are few more comforting soups than the good old tomato soup and with the addition of barley, makes the experience even better. The great thing about this recipe, you can dunk everything in one pot and you’re done 🙂
Serves 4 served in mugs or 2 as a main meal.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 200 g pearl barley
- 2x 400ml tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp barbeque sauce
- 750ml stock, either vegetable or chicken
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, over a mid-range heat and then add in the chopped onion and barley. Stir making sure the onion and barley are covered in the oil, and cook for about 5-8 mins until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, thyme, barbeque sauce and stock to the onion and barley mix. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for about 30-40 mins.
- Taste for seasoning and if required adjust with salt and pepper.
Serve with a large slice of bonfire bread (recipe to follow).
Food ~ Photography ~ Music ~ Design ~ Life
Recipe Developer | Photographer | Music Producer | Designer | Blogger
If you would like to know more about BusyElleBee, please click the link BusyElleBee
If you would like to know more about Recipe Development, Photography, Music Production, Design or would like an exclusive BusyElleBee guest post for your blog, please click BusyElleBee
If you wish to contact BusyElleBee, please click