This is actually one of my favourite cakes to make. Great for children’s parties, an afternoon tea, or for the Easter table. You can use more sophisticated decorative techniques, but when I’m making this for me, the old orange and lemon slices prove to be a treat in themselves.
4 heaped tbsp lemon yogurt
1 tbsp lemon marmalade
Orange and lemon slices cake decorations
1) Heat oven to Gas Mark 4.
2) Grease and line 2 sandwich cake tins.
3) Cream the sugar and margarine until fully incorporated and pale cream in colour.
4) Beat the eggs separately in a small bowl, mixing in the zest and juice.
5) Add the egg mix to the margarine mix and stir.
6) Fold in the flour.
7) Equally divide the mixture between the 2 sandwich cake tins and bake for 35-45 minutes. Both cakes should be golden brown when finished.
8) Set both cakes aside to cool.
9) Mix the yogurt and marmalade together in a small bowl.
10) Sandwich the cakes with the yogurt mix.
11) Decorate the top of the cake with the orange and lemon slices
I use yogurt as a filling as it is healthier, but you can use buttercream, jam, etc.