Ever wanted to learn how to make your own cheese? Here is a simple recipe for you to try.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and bring to just under the boil.
- Stir in the juice of half a lemon, if the curds and whey do not begin to separate, add the rest of the lemon juice.
- When the liquid separates, give the mixture another good stir and then remove from heat.
- Line a sieve with a clean muslin cloth and balance it over a bowl.
- Pour the liquid into the lined sieve, allowing the whey to collect in the bowl with the curds remaining in the muslin lined sieve.
- Gather up the muslin so that the curds are enclosed, and squeeze as much of the whey out as possible.
- Set aside the whey – this can be used to make pancakes. (Recipe coming soon)
- Season the curds with the celery salt and mould the curds into a ball.
- Refridgerate for about an hour to allow the flavours to develop, and then serve, with cream crackers or savoury biscuits.
You can add other ingredients like finely chopped herbs, pepper or chilli flakes. The cheese has a clean fresh taste and can be used as a foundation for a whole host of favours. Try adding a tablespoon of honey.
- Make your own butter! (busyellebee.wordpress.com)