I have been drinking this over the summer, it has a great kick and is lovely served ice cold. Please note, this drink has some alcohol content, the longer you leave the ginger beer to ferment, the higher the alcohol content.
Elle’s Easy Ginger Beer
- 2 cups of ginger roughly chopped into small chucks (grate the ginger if you want a spicier drink)
- 2 cups golden vanilla caster sugar
- 2.3 litres of boiling water
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1.5 tsp dried yeast (optional)
- In a large heat proof bowl or jug, combine the ginger, sugar and boiling water. Stir well and ensure the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest and juice to the mixture and stir again.
- Allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm temperature (about 40-60 mins).
- Add the yeast and stir again.
- Cover lightly and leave in a cool place for at least 24 hours.
- Strain the mixture into plastic bottles and either store in the fridge, or set aside in a cool, dark store cupboard for a few days, if you want a more alcoholic drink. Store the ginger beer in the fridge to stop the fermentation process.
Drink within 2 weeks, and serve with plenty of ice. If you don’t want to make an alcoholic drink, simply omit the yeast.