Gelato is different to ice-cream in that the latter is usually custard based and heavier in texture, while gelato is eggless and lighter in texture. Gelato is also easier to make than ice-cream – a basic gelato you only requires 3 ingredients, with minimal fuss to make. Custard based ice-cream involves separating the eggs, making a custard, and if you don’t own an ice cream maker, a laborious task of mixing, then freezing, mixing, freezing, mixing, etc etc. I adore ice cream, but quite frankly it’s too much like hard work, and I’m bored of trying to figure out what to do with all the egg whites afterwards. There is only so many meringues a person can eat!
Nope, I like the ‘dump it all in a bowl and whisk’, method of making delicious treats.
This is a 2 part recipe post – the first is the basic vanilla gelato to which you can add other favours.
Elle’s Basic Vanilla Gelato
- 500ml double cream
- 1 tin condensed milk (about 400g*)
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
*Some tins have a daft measurement of 395g or 397g. Don’t bother to open another tin of condensed milk just to get the last few grams, it will be fine.
Simply add all the ingredients in the bowl of a food mixture and whip until the mixture becomes nice and thick – soft peak stage. Be careful not to over whip, unless you what to make sweet vanilla flavoured butter. However if you do over whip, don’t worry – stir in a little more double cream and you may be able to rescue the gelato. If not, add some brandy extract to the cream mix and decant into a freezer proof container and store in the freezer. That’s your brandy butter sorted for Christmas 😀
But if you want to make gelato, whip the ingredients until it is thick – always err on the side of caution, better to be slightly under whipped than over.
Decant the cream mix into a freezer proof container, and freeze for about 4-5 hours, until firm. Serve with berries, biscuits, chocolate sauce or enjoy on it’s own.
Now for the flavourings – how about Amaretti and Black Cherry favour?
Elle’s Amaretti and Black Cherry Ripple Gelato
- 14 Amaretti Biscuits
- 4 heaped tbsp Black Cherry Jam
- Amaretto Di Saronno or Almond liqueur (optional)
- Fresh Cherries for decoration
- Make the basic vanilla Gelato as above
- Take 7 of the amaretti biscuits, crushed into smaller pieces and fold these into the cream mixture.
- Freeze the mixture for about an hour.
- After an hour, swirl in the black cherry jam (and Amaretto Di Saronno or Almond liqueur if using), to form a ripple pattern.
- Decorate the top with the remaining whole biscuits and return to the freezer for another 5-6 hours.
Serve with fresh cherries, and maybe some more whipping cream. Yum!