- 5 tbsp sunflower oil
- 175g golden vanilla caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Amoretti (or 2 tsp almond extract)
- 2 eggs
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 100g ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g mix of toasted blanched almond, toasted whole almonds and flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 2.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar until well blended. Add the Amoretti or almond extract, then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, nutmeg and baking powder, then gradually add to the egg mixture.
- Gently stir in the nuts by hand.
- Divide the dough in half and shape the dough into two logs on a baking sheet lined with parchment or greaseproof paper. The dough should be fairly runny and sticky. Wet your hands with cold water so you can handle the dough easily.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the logs are a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to gas mark 1.
- Cut both the logs while they are still warm, using a serrated knife into thick diagonal slices. Lay the slices sideways on 2 baking sheets lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes on each side, until the biscotti are dry. Store in an airtight container.
Serve with coffee, or better still a nice large cup of tea 🙂 These are great dunkers!